Sunday, June 5, 2022
Lesson Text: I Samuel 3:1-9, 19-20; 7:3-5, 10, 12
King James Version (KJV)
I. SAMUEL’S CALL FROM GOD (I Samuel 3:1-9, 19-20)
1. And the child Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was precious in those days; there was no open vision.
2. And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see;
3. And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;
4. That the Lord called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.
5. And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.
6. And the Lord called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.
7. Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the word of the Lord yet revealed unto him.
8. And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child.
9. Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
19. And Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground.
20. And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the Lord.
II. SAMUEL’S MINISTRY TO ISRAEL (I Samuel 7:3-5, 10, 12
3. And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.
4. Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served the Lord only.
5. And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Mizpeh, and I will pray for you unto the Lord.
10.And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the Lord thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel.
12. Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.