New International Version (NIV)
I. THE PRIEST AND THE PEOPLE (Luke 1:8-10)
8. Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God,
9. he was chosen by lot,according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense.
10. And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside
II. THE ANGEL AND THE MESSAGE (Luke 1:11-17)
11. Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense.
12. When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear.
13. But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid,Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John.
14. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth,
15. for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink,and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.
16. He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God.
17. And he will go on before the Lord,in the spirit and power of Elijah,to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
III. THE RESPONSE AND THE REPERCUSSIONS (Luke 1:18-20)
18. Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this?I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.”
19. The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel.I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news.
20. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.”